An accurate body fat scale is a great piece of technology to help you reach your fitness goals. They are reasonably cheap, very easy to use, and provide a daily or weekly check that you are progressing towards your body fat goals.
The most accurate body fat scales aren’t actually that expensive, and generally speaking, 99% of the body fat scales you can buy today are accurate enough for the Average Joe. If you are a bodybuilder, or someone who craves accuracy, then I have pulled together a list of some of the best and most accurate body fat scales below.
As they say, knowledge is power. Tracking your body fat is a great motivator, and studies have shown that dieting adults who take a few minutes each day to record their fitness progress are less likely to give up, and will lose more weight than those who don’t keep track.
The most accurate body fat scales reviewed by Body Fat Shop are….
If you are looking for one of the most accurate body fat scales, from a reliable brand, you can’t go past the BC533 from Tanita.
This high quality product has over 250 positive reviews from customer all around the world. The sleek glass and silver design has a four person memory, large LCD display, and is so accurate it is frequently used in the medical field.
Next time you visit the local doctor, take a look in the corner of the room, they just may have the BC533 sitting their ready for their next patient analysis!
To ensure anyone can use this scale it comes with a Guest Mode, as well as Child and Adult modes to ensure your readings are accurate. It is about the size of a typical bathroom scale, and runs on four AA batteries which are included in the package.
For those looking for the most accurate body fat scale under $100, we highly suggest you check out the Tanita BC533 and buy from a trusted online store for the best deal.
The simplicity of its design is a huge draw card, as many body fat scale are over complex which makes getting accurate readings more difficult.
This great scale by Etekcity is auto-calibrated to provide instant and accurate weight measurements in the measurement of your choice (pounds or kilograms).
It packs four super precise sensors making it one of the most precise scales on the market today for under $30. It is important to note that this scale does not measure body fat.
We have included it in this list due to it’s great price, amazing design, and accurate measurements of weight to within 0.2lb.
The durable design has a large LCD making reading and recording results simple. The auto-off feature will ensure you save energy and extend the devices life span.
The rust-resilient design means you can place this in your bathroom and other wet areas without worrying about it looking worse over time, or it’s accuracy declining.
Before I speak about the accuracy of this product, I need to talk about the many other features jam packed into this high quality scale.
Firstly, it doesn’t just measure body fat. It will give you weight, muscle, bone mass, water, and BMI measurements as well thanks to its ‘Position Control Technology’. Not only that, but unlike many of its competitors, the Withings body Cardio will also assess heart rate and ‘Pulse Wave Velocity’ for a more complete picture of your bodies health.
If you are a technology addict like myself you will love that its automatic synchronization feature ensures data from every single weigh in is seamlessly sent to the Health Mate app via a Wi-Fi connection to your home network.
Up to eight different users can record their personal weight history on this Withings device, which is double what is normally seen on competing scales. Impressively, the Withings Body Cardio automatically recognises who is who. How? Don’t ask me!
And last of all, if you really want to, you can customise the scales display to show a local weather forecast! I told you this was a great choice for technology geeks!
When choosing an accurate body fat scale I always like to recommend Wi-Fi connected scales. This removes any chance of human error as your device automatically sends all readings to a data centre to appear in an app or online. You can take your health data anywhere to track progress, which motivates you to continually strive for better results.
The Withings Body Composition Wi-Fi scale has all the features you would want in a high quality scale from a very respectable brand.
It provides full body composition analysis so you can get highly accurate weight, body fat, BMI, muscle, water, and bone mass measurements in a matter of seconds.
The automatic synchronization feature ensures all data appears in the Health Mate app automatically. As of late 2016 the app is available on both iOS and Android. You can set goals and view highly detailed graphs to track and assess your progress. Although most people use Wi-Fi to sync this device with their apps, it can also connect via Bluetooth.
Up to eight family members or flat mates can use the Withings body device, and fantastically, it automatically recognises who is who.
If you are reading this page, no doubt you are looking to buy an accurate body fat scale. You will be happy to know this device from Withings features patented Position Control Technology to ensure you get accurate readings. It works by utilizing on screen guides to ensure you have the correct stance on the surface to give you the best readings it can.
Like many scales here, the Runtastic Libra not only measures body fat, but also weight, water percentage, muscle and bone mass, and BMI, BMR, and AMR (which is calories burned).
As you would expect, the Runtastic Libra functions exclusively with the Runtastic Libra app, which is available free to download onto all the leading Apple devices including both phones and tablets.
The app lets you view progress over time in beautiful graphs, and tracks your progress towards your own personal goals. You get to view detailed measurements each and every time you weight yourself.
At under $30 this Easy@Home Deluxe scale is one of the best value accurate body fat scales you can find on the market today. Normally at this price you don’t expect to get a great design and a bluetooth capable scale, but that is exactly what you are going to get.
This scale will measure your weight and BMI in just a couple of seconds and instantly upload the data to a free app on your mobile device.
The app is available on both iOS and Android and is easily set up for up to ten users. You can also export the data and share it with others such as your personal trainer or health professional.
The large LCD display (4.3 inches) is easily read thanks to a strong back light meaning you will always read you measurements correctly in all lighting environments.
I think its clear so far that this is a great body fat scale jam packed with all the features one would want in a scale.
But there are additional benefits of purchasing the Easy@Home Deluxe Bluethood scale. Firstly its glass top makes this a sleek additional to any room or fitness facility, and its auto shutdown feature ensures you save energy. It can support weights of upto 400lbs, and works best on hard surfaces.
You can find the App by searching EasyHomeScale on either the Apple App store or the Google store.
INSEN Digital Body Weight Scale & Body Fat Scale
This INSEN scale is high quality, low cost, and comes with all the basic features of the body fat scale. There are no fancy apps, no bluetooth connectivity, and no Wi-Fi connection options with this product…which is perfect for those that want a no-fuss reading of their body fat every so often.
What it does come with however is a sleek design featuring a large hidden LED display which is visible only when it is powered on. Stepping on the scale turns it on instantly, so you can get your measurements in seconds. It will also automatically power off to prolong the battery life.
Accurate weight measurements are provided in increments of 0.2lb, or 0.1kg. The device is powered by 4 AAA batteries (included) and it comes with a generous two year warranty.
To ensure the scale remains accurate it has low battery warnings, and over load warnings, to ensure the scale has the energy it needs and isn’t being put under too much pressure. It can accurately measure up to 330lb or 150kg.
This is perhaps the most funky design listed on BodyFatShop.com! The 6mm glass surface, with stainless steel plates ensures this modern design scale fits in great at any home, gym, or office.
To ensure accuracy Etekcity have installed four sensors within the build of the scale to accurately measure weight to 0.2lb or 100g.
As with all scales, ensure this is placed on a hard flat surface to get the most accurate results.
Personal user profiles mean you can track up to twelve people on this device which makes it great for personal trainers or larger families. Most body fat scales track four or so user profiles, sometimes they do eight, so it is impressive to see a scale able to track up to twelve different people.
This scale utilizes what is called ‘BIA Technology’ to calculate seven important body composition vitals all at once. It not only calculates body fat, but also water content, bone mass, muscle mass, calories, and BMI value.
The Etekcity Digital Scale is available for under $30 and can be found online from your favourite retailers.
What is the Accuracy of Body Fat Scales?
Body fat scales often measure more than just body fat. Take for example the Tanita BC533 listed above. It also measures weight, your body water percentage, muscle mass, bone mass, daily caloric intake, metabolic age, visceral fat, and even rates your physique!
Before I delve into the accuracy of body fat scales, I want to quickly take a moment to explain what each of their measurements actually are, as some can be measured more accurately than others.
- The body water percentage is (obviously) the total amount of water in your body, calculated as a percentage of your total weight.
- The bone mass is the weight of the bones in your body.
- If you want to know how much your skeleton weighs, it is the bone mass stat that you want to be looking at!
- The amount of muscle in your body is shown as a muscle mass statistic.
- Visceral fat is the fat in your stomach and surrounding your vital organs.
- Physique Ratings (as seen in the Tanita BC533) are generally on a numeral scale with one being poor, and nine or ten being great.
Most body fat scales increase in increments of 0.1% which is as accurate as your Average-Joe needs to see. If you need the most accurate body fat scale available, such as for athletes and body builders, you can find speciality stores that sell these. However knowing your body fat percentage to one decimal point is accurate enough for me, and nearly every reader of this website.
It is important to remember that scales work best on hard flat surfaces. If you are using your scale on a soft surface such as carpet or a rug you may not be getting the most accurate recordings possible. Always place your scale on a hard flat surface (bathroom floors are ideal) and be sure to stand in the centre area of the scale.
Naturally everyone’s weight varies throughout that day. People are typically their lightest in the mornings before breakfast, and become heavier into the day, before falling back down in the evenings.
Exercise can also bring your weight down as you sweat off some of the water your body holds. It’s no unusual for someones weight to vary by 4-6lbs throughout the day.
For these reasons we highly recommend taking your weight and body fat readings at the same time every day or every week to ensure your bodies normal fluctuations are not causing your data to be fluctuating inaccurately.
Is The Accuracy of Body Fat Scales Important?
I firmly believe that buying an accurate scale to measure your body fat is one of the most important things you can do to reach your fitness goals. I feel this way not just for body fat scales, but also for weight scales.
Anyone who has set a body fat or weight goal knows that if you are using multiple different scales, sometimes you can get wildly different readings, even if you use them both within hours of each other.
I personally have a standard weight scale at home, and there is one at the gym I frequent. My scale at home always says I am 1 or 2kgs less than the scale at the gym tells me.
Imagine how disheartening it was for me before I realised this! I’d weight myself at home before going to bed and be 79kgs, and then after my workout the next morning I would be 81kgs! It really zaps the motivation quickly when you rely on inaccurate scales.
The exact same principle applies to body fat scales. You need an accurate scale that you can consistently use, to get reliable results. Once you have an accurate scale you can be sure that the data it is recording are exactly the results that you have been achieving.
Buying an Accurate Body Fat Scale
There are a number of things to consider when buying a body fat scale, which I am sure you are aware of (otherwise you wouldn’t be here reading my advice!).
When I am asked which is the best body fat scale for accuracy these are the main topics I bring up:
- Ensure the scale is not complicated to use. This is for two distinct reasons. The first is simply motivation to continue to use the scale. If it is complicated, you will be less likely to frequently use it. Secondly, a body fat scale that is difficult to use means you may make errors in recording your percentage, which will give inaccurate data. I’ve written above why it is important to find an accurate body fat scale, and the bottom line is even the most accurate scale will be useless if you can’t operate it properly.
- Get a scale that has WiFi connectivity. If you are serious about measuring and tracking your body fat, you don’t want to have to remember your progress, and you won’t want to keep a pen and paper next to the scales. Errors can occur, and paper can get lost. Some people also type their pen and paper tracking into their computer at the end of the month to graph the data, which opens up more opportunities for errors to happen.A body fat scale that is WiFi enables will connect to your home network, and you can automatically track your progress using a range of websites and apps (see our body fat scale reviews for which websites and apps are compatible with each scale). Using this WiFi tracking method you can be guaranteed that the data sent is 100% accurate and exactly what the reading on the LCD screen said for the few moments you were standing on the scale.
- Buy from a known brand. This is a tough one, because unless you closely follow which brands manufacture body fat scales, you likely have no idea which brands are well known names and which brands are from small untrustworthy importers. Luckily websites such as BodyFatShop.com exist so you can use our research to choose from only the best body fat scale brands that we recommend. If you don’t want to browse this website, try other trusted online retailers such as Amazon. There are literally hundreds of body fat scales for sale online, ranging from cheap and nasty to the highest quality you can buy. Always look for products with a four star review or above, and only ones that have over 25 or so reviews.
- Check the size of the display, especially if your eye sight is not perfect! Some bodyfat scales have tiny hard to read LCD displays, which results in errors when trying to write down or remember what your body fat percentage is. Scales with larger LCD screens, or higher quality screens with improved clarity, are recommended for accurate body fat readings. Alternatively you can purchase a WiFi enabled scale, in which case you don’t need to worry about viewing the reading, as it will automatically be sent to your PC or phone.
- Make sure you read the instructions carefully and set up the scale with care. This normally doesn’t take long, and is an intuitive process. But take the time to read the user manual and calibrate your body fat scale correctly before using it. If you don’t calibrate it correctly, ever single body fat percentage it measures will be wrong. Imagine finding that out after recording your body fat percentage for 4 weeks!
- Re-calibrate your scale every few months. Sometimes their accuracy can diminish if the scale isn’t keep in great working order. Change its batteries when they run low, and re-calibrate the scale every few months to ensure it remains as accurate as the day you bought it.